Friday 11 September 2015

REVIEW: Crush by Laura Susan Johnson

Review


Rating: 4.5/5 stars!
I've read this book twice. Once, well over a year ago and the second time just a couple of months ago. I loved it the first time I read it and I love it even more now. I love Laura Susan Johnson's writing style.

Crush is not an easy or fun book. It's full of pain and heart wrenching moments. But there is a beautiful love story that is told and that brought a tear to my eye.

Jamie has had a horrible life. His childhood was full of pain and suffering. When he's finally rescued, he ends up in a good home. But that doesn't change his past and it doesn't 'fix him'. I loved this boy/man. I loved him so much.

Tammy's beginning was also rocky. Not as bad as Jamie's. But pain and suffering is still pain and suffering and we all react differently. He's Jamie's polar opposite, but it works so well. I loved him, too, and I wanted him to give himself a break.

Jamie and Tammy meet as children, again as teenagers and then again as adults. Their relationship takes time, but I rooted for them throughout the book. I was celebrating the good and crying during the bad. These guys deserve their HEA. More than any couple I've read to date, I think.

***Spoiler***

So why not 5 stars? It's a little nitpick of mine. But they use condoms after they marry and it made me a little uneasy. The author did a video about the reason she chose to write it. But as a personal preference, I would have liked for them to stop using condoms once married.



About the Book


Raw, graphic, candid portrait of two young gay men whose love affair is deeply affected by the scars they sustained from childhood sexual abuse. Tammy and Jamie are soul mates, but their love is thwarted for years by bad timing, fear of ridicule, and the damage that lingers long after childhood.












Buy Links

Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/Crush-House-Glass-Beach-Book-ebook/dp/B0096FLPRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441992493&sr=8-1&keywords=Crush+Laura+Susan+Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment